Los Angeles leads the way.
Los Angeles has adopted one of the first local ordinances that includes Tiny Homes on wheels as officially sanctioned ADUs. They have to be built to modern code specifications, but this is the way most tiny home builders already operate. Here’s the specific code that refers to tiny homes.
MOVABLE TINY HOUSE.
A structure intended for the separate, independent living quarters of one household for year-round residence that meets all of the following:
- (a) Is licensed and registered with the California Department of Motor Vehicles;
- (b) Meets the American National Standards Institute (ANSI) 119.5 requirements, and certified by a qualified third party inspector for ANSI compliance;
- (c) Cannot move under its own power;
- (d) Is no larger than allowed by California State Law for movement on public highways; and
- (e) Has not less than 150 and no more than 430 square feet of habitable living space, including bathrooms and fixed counters.